One of the important body mineral ratios unveiled in a hair tissue mineral analysis report (HTMA) is the Sodium/Potassium (Na/K) ratio. The Na/K ratio relates particularly to the functioning of the kidney, liver, and adrenal glands, and is so essential to their function that the Na/K ratio is often referred to as the life-death ratio.
In the body, sodium is extracellular and potassium is intracellular, and an imbalanced ratio of the two can indicate physiological malfunctions. Sodium is associated with strength and power while potassium is associated with the quality of the strength. Heart, kidney, liver, and immune deficiency disorders can result from an imbalanced Na/K ratio.
Both sodium and potassium have relation to adrenal gland activity, with an elevated ratio indicating adrenal strength and a low ratio representing adrenal weakness. Dr. Paul C. Eck’s range for high, low, and ideal Na/K ratios are:
- Above 6 – Severe elevation, inflammation, adrenal imbalance – can be related to symptoms of asthma, allergies, kidney and liver problems
- Between 4 and 6 – Moderate elevation, Inflammation
- Between 2.5 and 4 – Mild elevation, good adrenal function
- 2.5 – Mild inversion, kidney and liver dysfunctions, allergies, arthritis, digestive problems, adrenal exhaustion, hydrochloric acid deficiency
- Below 1 – Severe inversion, tendency to heart attack, arthritis, cancer, kidney and liver diseases
Causes of a high Na/K ratio include:
- Presence of toxic metals such as copper, cadmium, mercury
- Excessive aldosterone secretion
- Stress or anger
- Zinc and magnesium deficiency
Causes of a low Na/K ratio include:
- Improper diet
- Sugar/carbs intolerance
- Weak adrenal glands
- Use of medications and other drugs
As the ratio lowers, symptoms become more pronounced. It is common to see the Na/K constantly move up and down while on a Nutritional balancing program. This can happen due to the elimination of toxic metals, retracing of an infection, or retracing of trauma. This is completely normal and when it happens, the program is altered by switching the client from Limcomin to zinc or vice versa. If the wrong supplement is taken in this case, symptoms such as fatigue, depression, anger and/or pain can occur.
A hair analysis test will assess any individual's body's mineral and ratio imbalances including the "life-death" Sodium/Potassium ratio. Discover what nutrients and supplements your body needs to enhance and regain good health with the HTMA and Body Mineral Balancing Program at Go Healthy Next!
This material is for educational purposes only.The preceding statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.